Gisborne is finals bound

The Bulldogs' win against South Bendigo has pushed them along to the finals.
The Bulldogs' win against South Bendigo has pushed them along to the finals.

The senior Gisborne Bulldogs needed a win on their home ground against South Bendigo on Saturday to get to play finals footy for the first time since 2014 – and they did it! Next Sunday they’ll meet Sandhurst in their elimination final at Bendigo’s QEO.
But back to last Saturday and the match which helped get them there…
The Bulldogs were determined to attack the ball from the first bounce and put the Bloods out of the game early. The Gisborne was playing direct football and giving the forwards plenty of opportunities to score. At the first break, Gisborne led by 33 points.
The second term saw Gisborne kick another four, as the midfield won clearances and opened the game up with quick ball movement. At the same time, the backline wasn’t allowing the Bloods to have any easy shots on goal. At the long break Gisborne had extended their lead to 54 points.
The second half was more competitive and Gisborne’s over use of the ball allowed the Bloods to hit the scoreboard more regularly. The Dogs eventually ran out winners by 63 points.
With Kyneton defeating Golden Square, Gisborne moved into the final five and into the finals.
Under 18s
On a perfectly sunny day at Omega Car Rentals Oval, Gisborne took on South Bendigo in the final game of the season. It was an important game for Gisborne, with a potential win confirming their top of the ladder position.
In the first quarter Gisborne got off to a positive start, with their efficient defence managing to keep South Bendigo to only one point. The Bulldogs kicked a quick four goals, despite Bendigo South beating Gisborne in clearances. The score amounted to 25 points to one point Gisborne’s way.
In the second quarter Gisborne continued to dominate by kicking four more goals, with the boys keeping South Bendigo to a one point score for the entire quarter. The Bulldogs showed some class, linking up well throughout the corridor, bringing the score to 53 points to two points.
In the third quarter South Bendigo continued to work well around the stoppages resulting in two quick goals. Gisborne worked hard, with effective defensive pressure, which resulted in four more goals. The third term score was 78 points to 17 points in Gisborne’s favour, leaving the Bulldogs in a good position for the final quarter for which they came out firing, winning clearances with proficient run and spread.. The final score totalled 99 points to 20 points, allowing Gisborne to become minor premiers for the season. On September 8 they will have to prove themselves again in the semi final match against a yet unknown opposition.
The Reserves boys started the game in great fashion and stayed with South up until the half time break. Unfortunately South held the team goalless in the second half, while they added eight goals to give them a 59 point victory.