A collaborative effort between Mount Alexander Shire Council, Dhelkaya Health, The Salvation Army Castlemaine and other agencies has enabled the Salvos to host a mobile shower truck in Castlemaine.
The custom-built mobile shower trailers bring dignity directly to communities, but offer more than just a free shower — they provide a full wrap-around service of care, connection and essential support.
The shower truck is visiting the Salvation Army Hall in Kennedy Street Castlemaine each Friday morning between 9am and 11am to coincide with the Salvos Doorways program.
The Salvos are also offering a hot breakfast to those attending the service.
The provision of showers in town has been a concern in the community, heightened by the closure of the town’s private indoor pool in July 2025, which had previously offered the free service.
Salvation Army Castlemaine corps leader Beth Waldron Anstice said the weekly service was attended by the Dhelkaya community health nurse and housing team and volunteers who could connect individuals with other services they might need.
“It’s a great example of the community working together to support those in need,” Beth said.
The truck service trial has been funded until June 30. The Salvos are keen for feedback from across the community about the initiative and are also looking at collaborating with other organisations to host pop-ups at Maldon or other local communities.
If the new service is well supported, the Salvos are hopeful it can continue beyond the initial trial period.
Red Shield Appeal under way
The Salvos have also kick-started the annual Salvation Army National Red Shield Appeal for May.
New data released by The Salvation Army from a survey of clients has revealed that need is growing in light of the cost-of-living crisis.
The latest research indicating almost nine in 10 parents go without food so kids can eat, more than one third can’t afford doctors for kids, and one in five say their children have gone without food for a whole day.
The Castlemaine Corps and Thrift Shop are running a number of local fundraising events and seeking support from the community.
This commenced with a market day in April, a performance by the Just Brass students on Monday afternoon, and will include a barbecue outside Maxi IGA on May 30 and a visit by Girton Grammar students to rattle tins on May 31.
Hitting the track
To highlight the local Red Shield Appeal fundraising efforts, newly appointed central Vic team leader Major Robert Evans, who provides support to the Castlemaine, Bendigo, Eaglehawk and Maryborough teams, has also been undertaking a four-day 200-kilometre trek from Bendigo to Ballarat.
Evans commenced his trek following the Red Shield Appeal launch in Bendigo on Thursday.
He was joined on the first 60 kilometre leg by Salvos MoneyCare manager for Bendigo Troy West.
“It was great have Troy join me for the first stint, we came across a lot of friendly faces on the track!”
Evans stopped over in Castlemaine on Friday to touch base with the local Corps and help raise awareness about the shower service before setting off on the second leg of his four-day journey.
“I do a lot of walking. I average around 10 kilometres a day. But this is really going to hurt. And that is what I am trying to get across, people are really hurting. They are facing tough choices and challenges from a lot of competing directions. Trying to decide what bills to pay and what they can live without,” he said.
Evans is completing the walk to raise funds for the Red Shield Appeal and hopes to raise $20,000. All funds will be spent supporting those in the central Victorian community.
To support Robert, donate at digitaldoorknock.salvationarmy.org.au/robert-evans
To support our The Salvation Army Castlemaine, visit digitaldoorknock.salvationarmy.org.au/castlemaine-salvos
Or you can donate to the Australia-wide appeal at www.salvationarmy.org.au/red-shield-appeal

